Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Very simple side table

We used to have this really awkward space in our bedroom. It is a narrow space at the end of our bed but it serves as the walkway into our kitchen so I couldn't put anything major there. But we needed just a little more storage space and I wanted to fill that awkward empty spot.  I searched for a few months for a long skinny table but couldn't find anything that fit the space perfectly. 
So I decided to make one.

I picked out a board that I liked the characteristics of- look how beautiful those notches are.

I bought a board from Home Depot that was 9" x 1 1/2" x 10 ft. I had them cut it there into three lengths I knew I wanted my table to be about 48 inches long so I had him measure and make that first cut, then I had him cut what was leftover in half which was about 37 1/2 inches. It ended up being perfect dimensions, and since I didn't do the math much I was pretty happy about that.


Since I had never built anything like this before, my original plan was to use some gorilla glue on the edges and add some nails in the top for added support. Well after letting the glue dry overnight and then some, it was still far from dry and not even close to sturdy. So I gave in and ran to Ace and bought these little corner supports. I didn't have any power tools so I had to screw these in with a screw driver and my bare hands. (which is why you see I skipped some screws) With the gorilla glue plus these supports, this table is pretty sturdy.


I added nails on each corner for some character.


I sanded down all of the rough parts- focusing on the edges and corners- and put a natural colored wood stain and protectant on it.


And here it is! It fits perfectly in our little spot under the window, making it not so awkward anymore and we now have a place to hold our perfumes and colognes. So it's a win all around. I also love that it brings in wood elements which we don't have in our bedroom since everything else is upholstered or painted.

You guys, I'm way beginner at building stuff. Really. Anyone can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment