Tuesday, July 2, 2013

4th of July String Art!

Have you guys seen string art? I have been seeing different versions all over the internet and I have always loved it but the versions I have seen are usually made with nails hammered into a board- too much work for me.  So when I was at the craft store I had this brilliant idea to just use sewing pins and posterboard!
 What you will need:


Foam core posterboard (I found a pack of two 9"x12" for $5) 
Some string of your color choice (I chose red embroidery thread)
Sewing pins ( I used 1/2" gold pins)
Scissors
A printed outline of the U.S.


I centered the map and taped it to the board.  In hindsight, I wish I would have cut out the map and then taped it because getting the map off while leaving the pins in was really time consuming.


Push in the pins all around the outline of your shape.  You can do them close together or further apart depending on how much time you want to spend.


I tied the string to one of the pins, cut off the end, and started wrapping... and wrapping... and wrapping....


Until I had this!!



Isn't it a simple but fun decoration for July?



I have a lot of blue decorations on my shelves so the red really compliments them.  This would work for any shape. I have seen it done with hearts, states, the possibilities are endless!

I can't believe the 4th of July is in just 2 days!! It is my favorite holiday! We fill our day with a parade (that turns into a water fight when the firetrucks come through at the end), carnivals, swimming, barbecues and end with fireworks! I can hardly wait. Do you have any fun traditions?

1 comment: