Friday, July 12, 2013

Gold dipped vase- 2 ways

Here is a tutorial for the vases I made for my wedding.  I didn't have glitter to re-create it so I did another variation you will see below but it is basically the same process. I mentioned I thrifted all of my vases.  I found them over a course of a few months for less than $1 a piece. Most of the smaller ones were 25 cents. Once I had acquired all of my vases, I washed them and let them dry completely. I wanted to paint them and I liked the glossy look so I painted the inside. I had seen tutorials of pouring craft paint into them and rolling it around but considering I was painting about 50 vases that sounded really time consuming to me. I was also worried about the water based paint wearing off when we put water in them. So I went with indoor/outdoor spray paint.  I didn't tape them off or anything, I just coated the inside with a few sprays of the spray paint and let them sit to dry. This whole process took no more than an hour. I would recommend wearing some gloves because it does backfire out of the vases a little and got my hands pretty coated with paint.


Once the inside of my vases were good and dry, I taped them off like this:


The line doesn't have to be perfectly straight but try to line up the seam of the tape as good as you can.  Then I coated the bottom half of my vase with an even layer of mod podge and shook some gold glitter all over it. (I didn't put any mod podge on the bottom of the vase that would be sitting on the table- I figured that would be a waste and would come off easily) I held my vase over a paper plate so I could reuse the excess glitter that fell off. Once the bottom of your vase is completely coated with glitter, turn it slowly and gently shake while you do to get all of the excess glitter off (don't be alarmed, a lot will fall off but your vase will stay evenly coated) I turned my vase upside down and let it dry completely. Once the glitter was dry I peeled off the tape and sprayed a layer of clear polyurethane protectant on top of the glitter.  I used the kind that comes in spray paint form and made sure to coat it really well. Set upside down and let dry completely.

Onto the second version:

I know, this vase is gross inside- that's why this is great- to cover up old water lines.

Tape your vase exactly like you would for the glitter dipped version. Spray on a coat of gold spray paint. I really like Rustoleum's Metallic gold.  Make sure to aim for the bottom half and if you are nervous you will get the top, add a few layers of tape to make it a thicker barrier. I didn't have any problem with that though. Let dry and peel off tape.


And there you have it. Two gold dipped vases, two different ways.


(I did the glitter one about 10 months ago and through a lot of transportation, it still looks brand new. I mean, it has gone from me to florist to wedding dinner back to florist to reception to home. And then I have rearranged it around my house plenty since then.  I think the layer of polyurethane spray paint did the trick.)


What do you think? Which one is your favorite?


1 comment:

  1. Bre I love your blog! You are so dang crafty!! I did all my wedding decor and food myself as well but I so wish I knew you before we got married! You have some way smart ideas!

    ReplyDelete