Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Emerald Dresser - How to paint laminate the easy way

So when we moved in to our house we were planning on being here for only 4 months (our place is only month to month rent luckily) Before we got married, I refinished this top of a hutch and decided to use it as a bookshelf/tv stand.  It wasn't ideal but for our 4 month situation we wanted to move in as little furniture as possible. Well, now we are here long term and I get to have the furniture I want. So very slowly but surely, I'm redoing furniture to be as cost effective as possible.


It is a lot taller and more awkward than it looks here, I promise.


After hours of searching our local classifieds I found this pretty thing for only $25. I arranged to go pick it up the next day and brought it home.


It was in a lot worse shape than I had expected from the picture online but I figured that's nothing a little wood filler couldn't fix.


A lot of the drawers were missing corners.


So I used wood filler to rebuild the corners and then once it dried I sanded them down.




Here is the base as it is drying.


And here it is complete!  I have been wanting a pop of color in my living room and what better than the pantone color of the year!? Emerald green it is.


(It is missing one of the gold trim pieces which I have yet to replace, but here it is anyways)

You wanna know how I did it?

(I spray painted the original hardware gold. One day I will replace it but for now I am on the lookout for a good deal)

First I rolled on 2 coats of Behr Precious Emerald.  Since the dresser is laminate I made sure I used the primer+paint.  This way you can skip the priming step and just go straight to the color without worrying about the paint peeling off.


While they were mixing my paint, I had them mix me a sample size of Behr Billiard Table (also in paint+primer)  When the 2 coats of the Emerald were dry, I mixed about a tablespoon of the Billiard Table with about a tablespoon of water.  I used a rough brush to brush on a light layer.  Because of the water, it dries in a light, streaky fashion and just adds some depth to the green.


After that was dry, I rolled on 2 layers of Polyurethane for protection.
I used high gloss so it still has that shiny finish.

Here it is again: 
Before:


And After:


It wasn't bad before but I love the pop of color this adds to my living room now.  Not to mention the NINE drawers of extra storage!!!!
What do you think? Would you go green?

p.s. we ordered a couch yesterday. It should be delivered tomorrow! I am SO EXCITED!!!! Our living room is really coming along.


2 comments:

  1. I like your blog a lot. Its informative and full of information. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete