Friday, June 28, 2013

B&W DIY painting

Have you guys seen these West Elm abstract b&w paintings?


They are actually on sale right now from $99 a piece down to $69.99 a piece.  Well, they are pretty but I think I would be sleeping in the bathtub for a week if I bought a $70 piece of art right now. No. I'm kidding. Tom isn't that mean. It would be more like a couple nights ;) Anyways, I'm working on a gallery wall and right now we have a pretty one but when I hung it, all I had were pictures from our wedding.  So it's just a big shrine wall of Bre and Tom.  That needs to go. Onto my point! (geez I can ramble)


Pretty great, huh? Actually, I chose it for it's frame. I liked the slim black look and for $2? Done.


I had to just tape off the frame because I couldn't figure out how to get it out and didn't care to try. (A for effort) I just painted some white right over the poster.  I was rushing to get pictures because the sun was setting fast but I will get some up close later to show my brush strokes.  You won't want your paint perfect and even (it's great for a girl like me who can't wait between coats) The more thick layered/thin layered parts and uneven strokes, the better. It will add depth! Then I used a foam brush and just painted some black lines and stripes letting my brush run out of paint in places.  The design really doesn't matter. I just added black until I felt like it was balanced and I was happy with it. Have fun with it!


For $2, not too bad, eh?? That's what I love about modern art. Most of the time I look at it and think "my niece could do that. And she can't even say 'modern art'!" So yes, even you can do this!! And if you're not too hot on the black and white, try out some other colors to fit your room! And then send me pictures of them so I can feel all happy and proud like that time I taught my mom's 3rd graders how to paint trees. :)


And a sneak peek of what's coming to you soon!!! (I know, you're thinking to yourself What IS that brass goodness??) Well you'll just have to wait to find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment