Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Kitchen cabinet update

So when we moved in to our house, this was the only counter in the kitchen.  And you can't tell how small it is here but our microwave and toaster took up all of it. (there was a TINY space in front of the toaster) But the top of it was this gross peel and stick plastic stuff stuck on an old gross board that was peeling off in places and I felt like it could never be clean.  The part that is peeling off a lot was underneath the microwave.  I did this a long time ago and in my haste for getting rid of it forgot to take before pics.


I undid a few screws and the board came right off.  Next, I bought a remnant countertop for $20.  I got mine at a store in Salt Lake City called Chris and Dick's, but if you are out of the state call around and ask companies that specialize in cabinetry and countertops if they have any remnants.  They rarely have stone, so if you are okay with laminate, it is really cheap.


Above you can sort of see the white cabinet before I painted.

I measured to the size I wanted it and then drew a line on the underside with a straight edge and cut it with a jigsaw.  It's not perfect and one edge isn't finished but I don't really care because it is a huge upgrade from our counter before.  


Next I painted the whole base black with the leftover paint from this and this project.


Right now the counter is just sitting on top of the cabinet but with my kitchen aid, it is held down pretty well.  Eventually I will put in some screws where the old ones were.  


I bought a bookshelf for $5 at the D.I. and painted it black as well and our micro and toaster sit there now. (Photobombing Stella)



Next I wanted to redo the upper cabinet.  Since they are so plain I decided to add a little design.


I painted around the edge with a few coats of black.


When that was dry I taped out my design (and started painting again before taking a picture)


Tip: add an extra coat of paint on top of your tape before you add your second color and it will seal the edges to ensure nice clean lines.


I painted the rest of the cabinet bright, glossy white and peeled off the tape to reveal this design.


And here it is with the doors hung.  I still need to buy a plate for the outlet. (REALLY sorry for these crappy pics but it's a gloomy day so bad lighting inside)


I wish I had a before picture!! But just trust me, it was bad.  (White, dirty bottom, plywood w/ plastic covering as the counter, and orangey wood upper cabinets.) Now I have a counter top to hold my kitchen aid, roll out cookies, and all those other fun kitchen tasks! (obviously cookies are my priority)
Next: my bathroom!
Ps, even if you have nice countertops in your kitchen, a cheap remnant countertop would be great for a craft room, as a shelf above your washer/dryer... oh the possibilities are endless!!


And in case you were wondering, this is how we sit on the couch. Every time. (By her choice)



No comments:

Post a Comment