Thursday, June 20, 2013

Plate wall

Have you ever heard of dwelling gawkr?? I am about to make your day if you haven't.  If you have a smart phone, download the free app called Dwelling Gawkr. It's like pinterest but only interior design stuff.  I might spend more time on there than I do on pinterest. Which says a lot about the app. Okay. So now that you can waste as much time on your phone as I do, I have something to show you.


Sad, right? It's this awkward little spot in my kitchen between my bathroom and my pantry (you know you want your house to be laid out like mine) Anyways, I have been seeing a lot of plate walls lately and thought this was the perfect spot to put one.


Enter these beauties.  I got them for 25-50 cents a piece at my local thrift store (the D.I. if you are in Utah). The middle one was my initial inspiration. Lately I am into bright, flowery designs, plus it has a beautiful gold edge! So I picked out some other plates that pulled some of the colors or had gold detailing. I brought them home and washed them (because I'm that much of a clean freak) and laid them out on my floor in a pattern I thought would look nice.


Look at that edge!

Next, I started with the middle plate, held it up to the wall and marked 2 spots underneath it with a pencil.  This is where I hammered in the bottom 2 nails. Next, I set the plate on the nails, made sure they were holding it flat against the wall and gently nailed in 2 more along the top corners of the plate (I know, they are round plates but let's pretend for a second they have imaginary corners) 


I repeated this process until all of the plates were secured on the wall.  Those babies aren't going anywhere.  


What do you think?  I think it's a perfect space filler for a kitchen or dining area.  I would eventually like to paint the nails either white or gold, but I was too impatient to wait for paint to dry today.

No comments:

Post a Comment