Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fresh Peach Pie

This is a few months too late but in August my mom brought me this giant bowl of peaches from their tree.  I had already made 12 jars of jam so I decided to use these for something really yummy.
Now I'll have you know I am NOT a pie person.  
Like for Thanksgiving I make a chocolate pudding pie and only eat the pudding part... does that even count as pie??  But I thought I would give fresh peach pie a go.


I decided to make a sugar cookie pie crust since the part I dislike most about pie is the crust. (second is a hot baked pie... especially baked fruit. bleh.)
Okay. Moving on.


I used this recipe for the crust.  
I may have added extra flour.  Just check your consistency and make sure it isn't sticky.  You want to be able to pick it up without having it cake to your hands.  But too much flour would make it rock hard and dry. Don't do that.


Press in pie pan and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.


Next you are going to make the thick peach part.
1 cup smashed peaches
2/3 cup water
Simmer peaches and 2/3 c water for 3 min.
1 cup sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1/3 cup water
In a separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and 1/3 c water. Add to peaches, cook and stir until thick and bubbly.  (I also add a few drops of almond extract.  It compliments the flavor SO well)


Let cool.


Peel and slice your peaches.  I sliced them into a bowl of cool water to keep them from going brown and to also wash off any peach fuzz I missed when washing them.


Pour half of your peach sauce into pie crust and spread evenly.



Place fresh peaches into crust.  
**If you put your peaches in water make sure to drain them really well or you will have peach soup when you cut your first piece of pie.



Pour remainder of peach sauce on top and make sure all fresh peaches are covered.  This will keep them from going brown. 


Chill. (or if you're me, take a few pictures and devour it all that night... cuz we did)


Oh great. Now I'm craving peach pie and there are no peaches in sight.


Serve with ice cream. Enjoy!!

Come back tomorrow and see a pretty nightstand make over I did last week!

And make sure to follow me!


No comments:

Post a Comment