Friday, November 6, 2015

Entry Makeover

So this house had a lot of 2 tone... Brown, green, and tan. I think they painted it back in 2007 and hadn't touched it since. The entry had this really bad poo green wall right when you walked in. And it just needed to go.  So I painted it white and then did a little wainscoting on it. I did this when I was 37 weeks pregnant and so I didn't take very many process pictures... I need to be better about that. But at the time it was all I could do to just get this done.

Before:


You can see how the wall is green and the rest of the walls are tan.


And the green inside the little cutout... WHY



One coat of  paint


Gaps filled in


Painted.


Also re-did my table while I was at it. The top used to be a really water warped, chipped piece of chip board. You can see it in the first picture.  I bought the table at a thrift store for like $15 with the plan to replace the top. 


I bought a piece of wood at home depot and had them cut it in half for me right there at the store.  I unscrewed the old top and just screwed the new top on with the same hardware. 


Stained it with one of my favorite stain colors: Classic gray by Minwax
I wipe the stain on with a foam brush and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel.


And finished!!


I love how it turned out and how crisp and clean it feels now. Goodbye poo green!

So I learned a few things with this project.  If you are hand nailing the boards as opposed to a nailgun, there is a little metal tool you need called a nail setter.  It pushes the nails in further and then you just patch the holes.  Also, using caulk around the edges will not only seal it and make it look like part of the wall, but it holds the boards to the wall like a glue.  
I sort of just wing it with most of my projects and learn as I go.  I don't necessarily recommend this method because it can be very painful sometimes.  For example: I nailed this design up twice.  The first time I did the long boards horizontal and the short boards vertical.  It just didn't work for some reason.  So I carefully ripped it down, and re-hammered it with the long boards vertical and the short boards horizontal.  It was a ton of extra work and my arms were not happy.  But it was worth the extra work to get the end result I wanted.

Have a good weekend!

Come back next week to see the main floor powder bath!

xoxo Bre




1 comment: