Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's me again.

Hiyee. Did I not warn you I was going to have a hard time blogging lately?? Well guess what. Finals are over and I've taken some time to relax and now I'm ready for some major projects. I finally got around to my desk I bought in the beginning of July. It wasn't horrible but what I really loved was the hardware.  It took me some time to decide what color to paint it and then find the time to paint it.


I found this on a random trip to the thrift store and I had Tom's car which is slightly smaller than my car.  As I pulled up to the loading dock and the two high school boys came out with it, I could tell it wasn't going to fit.  So just to be sure I pulled out my tape measure (which the boys laughed at and asked what girl carries a tape measure to which I replied... ME) So I had them hold it and waited for Tom to get home from work and he went with me and we shoved it in my trunk and drove the 5 blocks home. 


And here it is painted. I decided to go with black because black is such a timeless color.  I rolled the paint on just like I did with my green dresser and then added a top coat of polyurethane for durability.


Tom and I also added to our plant collection on Saturday.  We found this awesome exotic plant store downtown and Tom finally got his beloved Bonsai Tree (he literally has been wanting one for years)  We didn't get the classic one because they are pretty pricey and we figured we would give the cheaper, harder to kill one a go and expand our collection from there.  And I finally got my fiddle leaf fig. I never thought we would get so excited about plants but it felt like christmas bringing those home.


And since I had the black paint out, I alternated between painting the desk and this door.  Man I hate cheap/fake wood. 


Quite the improvement, ya?


And then as we watched a movie, I updated my chalkboard using this tutorial.  Seriously, I always tried to write like the pros do in the Pottery Barn magazines but until I read this tutorial, it always turned out so... homemade if not first grade looking.





What do you think? I want to get a new chair that actually fits under the desk.


Remember my living room list? I crossed off a lot of things but with those, added more.

Get a sectional
Sell old sofa
Get a new t.v. stand that is multi-functional
Gallery wall
Paint all interior doors black (done with 1 of 4)
Get a desk to go under front window
Get a chair that fits under desk
Get some bright throw pillows for sofa
Lamp for behind sofa
Style bookshelf

Thanks for reading!! Check back tomorrow for my kitchen update plans!

1 comment: