Thursday, July 31, 2014

Seriously Simple Chalkboard tutorial!

Ok guys I have a new obsession.  I have been doing so much lettering lately and the more I do, the better I get, and the more I wanna do.  It's a downward spiral really.
Chalkboards are the easiest way to practice lettering/calligraphy because, duh, you can erase way easy.
I showed you a few chalkboards in my last couple posts.  Here is my super simple tutorial:
When thrifting, look for anything flat that can be spray painted.
Examples:




Any board, picture frame... seriously anything.  All of these were less than $2.00.
Next:


You can also buy chalkboard paint in a can, or there are multiple tutorials out there to make your own.  The spray paint form has been the easiest way I have found.  Obviously if you're painting a wall, you would want to opt for the kind you roll on.


I threaded some burlap ribbon through the small hole at the top to hang it.


For this board, I wanted a gold boarder. So first, I sprayed the edges with gold spray paint.


Next, I taped off the part I wanted gold and sprayed it with the chalkboard paint.


Here it is ready to draw on!  Make sure and season your chalkboard before writing on it.  Smear the whole board with chalk and wipe off with a damp cloth.


This chalkboard is for my friend's wedding, (one of many I've been able to do)


I free-handed this with a white colored pencil, after I practiced on paper of course.



And then I got chalk markers.  This just shows how much brighter it makes it!


The finished product.  Cute, huh?!


This one used to be a picture.  I just sprayed directly on the glass, and it worked really well!


Another one for Brooke's wedding.

I hope these have inspired you to go out and make your own chalkboard(s)!  I am seriously obsessed.

Thanks for reading!
XOXO Bre






No comments:

Post a Comment