Wednesday, March 19, 2014

DIY Urchin

Have you guys joined the urchin craze?  I have been seeing these cute DIY urchins all over the internet and after staring at one at Target for about 10 minutes, I decided to just make my own.  What you will need:


Skewers, Foam balls, Gold Spray paint, Hot glue gun (not pictured)


First I broke all of my skewers in half.  It's okay if your ends are frayed, just make sure and stick that end into the foam.  Also, no need to be perfect and measure here.  It looks good if they are all a little bit different in length.


Next, get a dot of hot glue onto the end of your skewer and just shove it in.  I started with the bottom half and worked my way up.  That way I knew it would sit flat on my surface.


Close up detail


Continue doing this until your urchin is as full as you can make it.


Next I took it outside and gave it a few good coats of spray paint.  This is where you could do any color you would like, I chose gold (obviously). Make sure and hit your urchin from every angle to ensure full coverage and then turn it upside down and give it another good coat.


And here it is on my little end table!



What do you guys think? Easy enough?  It think over all this cost about 5 dollars (and I have enough supplies to make several more)

Thanks for reading!! If you make one of these, we'd love to see it! Instagram it with #stellalanedesigns!

xoxo Bre

No comments:

Post a Comment